30/5/19: Story courtesy North Wales Live www.dailypost.co.uk
TV star Drew Pritchard, previously banned from 44 pubs, has declined to say if he’s benefited from amnesty.
Around 100 people have had their names dropped from a list banning them from pubs in Conwy county.
At a Pubwatch annual general meeting last week, volunteers decided which punters could return to their local boozers because the list was “getting too long.”
Those let back on good behaviour are the people who have served at least half of their ban without any breaches.
Arguably the most well-known name of the West Conwy Pubwatch list was Salvage Hunters star Drew Pritchard.
He was banned from watering holes all over his home county for five years after police investigated reports of an assault at The Liverpool Arms pub in Conwy on February 24, 2018 – the day of the Wales vs Ireland Six Nations clash.
But after looking into the incident police said they decided to take no further action as no complaint was made.
The West Conwy pub watch scheme now covers more than 70 pubs across Llandudno, Penrhyn Bay, Colwyn Bay, Rhos on Sea, Old Colwyn, Mochdre, Llandudno Junction, Conwy, Deganwy and Penmaenmawr.
A voluntary organisation, it was set up to promote best practice through supporting the work of local licensees.
A spokesman said: “We held our AGM last week and agreed that the list had grown to a point where it wasn’t manageable for licensees to remember everyone who is barred.
“We looked at the people who had not breached their ban at all and held a vote deciding that anyone who had served at least half their ban without any breaches could be taken off the list.
“We decided that going forward, everyone subsequently added to the list will be given a review date half way through.”
The West Conwy Pubwatch, which is made up of seven committee members and includes over 70 licenced premises, said there are around 140 names currently remaining on the list.
They say the pubs which are part of the scheme have seen crime “fall massively.”
Unruly punters subject to a ban can be given anything from a warning or a minimum three month ban to a ban lasting a maximum of five years after being put before the committee for a hearing along with the licensee and licencing officers.
The spokesman added: “There is definitely no footfall problem in our pubs, this is not why we have cut down the list.
“We want to be more open, and fair.
“We are also trying to go into schools and talk to sixth form pupils about what Pubwatch is all about and tell them not to waste their money on fake IDs because door staff know what is legitimate and what is not.
“We also want to educate them so that they know how to behave when they are old enough to go out drinking.”
The half way point of Drew’s five-year ban which was imposed in March 2018 is mid-way through 2020.
Drew Pritchard declined to comment.
* Anyone who wants to check whether they are still on the list can enquire by emailing West Conwy Pubwatch.
NPW Editors comment: We recommend that all schemes regularly check their banned list to ensure that the information you hold is up to date and relevant.