Pub burglar used crisp packet to cover CCTV camera

Marcus Bevan was jailed for three years at Swansea Crown Court

A MAN who broke into a Llanelli pub just two days after getting out of prison tried to hide his identity by wearing a cap — and putting a crisp packet over a CCTV camera.

Marcus Bevan targeted the public house — which was two doors from his own house — on a Six Nations rugby Saturday, when there was plenty of money on the premises.

Patrick Llewelyn, for the prosecution, told Swansea Crown Court that Bevan raided the safe and then smashed fruit machines — netting up to £4,000 in cash — before making-off in a customer’s car which had been left outside the pub overnight.

The court heard Bevan was recognised from CCTV footage at the Biddulph Arms.

He was arrested by police on the M4 in the stolen car — still wearing the gloves he had used in the break-in.

Bevan, of New Street, Llanelli had previously pleaded guilty to burglary, taking a vehicle without consent and driving without insurance when he appeared in court via videolink for sentencing.

The court heard the Biddulph had been busy on February 13, the day of the Wales versus Scotland rugby game.

In the early hours of the following morning the 29-year-old entered the pub’s beer garden and tried to cover a CCTV camera with a crisp packet.

Bevan then smashed a toilet window and got into the premises where he forced-open the pub’s safe before attacking the gaming machines and emptying them of their takings.

The intruder then took the keys to a Vauxhall Corsa which a customer had left behind the bar for safe-keeping, and made-off in the vehicle.

The court heard Bevan has a history of committing burglaries and other fences, and had only been out of prison for two days following a 14 month sentence for burglary and theft when he broke into the Biddulph.

Judge Patrick Curran QC told the defendant he had a “terrible” record of offending, and had targeted the pub knowing there would be a substantial amount of cash on the premises.

He sentenced Bevan to 32 months in prison for the burglary offence and four months for tacking the vehicle, both to run consecutively. The judge also banned Bevan from driving for two years
Story courtesy of South Wales Evening Post