Left to right Steve Baker Chair NPW, Glyn Walker, Trevor Ford
15/9/21: National Pubwatch Chair presents a Star Award to Glyn Walker, scheme manager at Ashford Partnership Against Crime (APAC). The presentation took place at offices of the British Beer and Pub Association.
Glyn was nominated by Trevor Ford, the Environmental Protection and Licensing Team Leader at Ashford Borough Council.
Glyn took up his post in August 2019, following 32 years’ service in Kent Police. It was stated that at the time of his appointment the local Pubwatch was in a perilous position, with low engagement between members and partners, and a lack of coordination.
In less than 18 months, as a part time employee Glyn is credited with having:
- Ensured the security of the partnership through the well managed collection of membership subscriptions
- Coordinated the roll out of emergency trauma packs to licensed premises
- Increased active participation of members
- Increased communications with partners such as Kent Police
- Supported local charities in their Covid19 response, by arranging the temporary loan of radios
- Coordinated the roll out of knife wands to night time economy premises
- Sourced £29,000 grant funding to replace the radio network
- Increased membership of the Ashford scheme and laid the foundations for a Pubwatch in Tendeden
Glyn’s nomination was strongly supported by the head of Kent Police Licensing Chief Inspector Nick Sparkes and the Borough Councils Community Safety Manager Alison Oates.
The APAC Chairman stated “We have grown more in the last year, than the 15 years that I have been involved in APAC. We have no doubt that without the input of Glyn as scheme manager, supported by the board of APAC, our Pubwatch would not be in the fantastic position that it now is”.
The award is sponsored by Licensing Defence Barristers