Violent attack ends in man’s 25-year ban from Wrexham pubs

A MAN who assaulted a pub doorman in an unprovoked attack has been barred from town centre pubs for 25 years.


Daniel Owen Jones, 29, of Hullah Lane, Wrexham, was jailed for 14 months at Mold Crown Court earlier this month for attacking Michael Thompson at the Yates’ Wine Bar on High Street on May 23.


In what defence solicitors described as a “moment of madness”, bodybuilder Jones punched his victim to the floor and repeatedly punched him and kicked him.


Mr Thompson was walking through the bar when Jones, who was sitting at the bar, turned around and punched him.


A 25-year banning order has been now been placed on Jones by Wrexham town centre’s Pubwatch group – an association of licensed premises which can collectively bar frequently violent or anti-social individuals.


The ban will prohibit Jones from entering any licensed premises under the Pubwatch scheme.


Insp Paul Wycherley, head of the Wrexham town centre policing team, said: “All my staff are aware of who this individual is and, from my point of view, licensees are telling us they don’t want him back in their premises any more.


“If one party in Pubwatch sees this person trying to come in to the town centre [pubs and clubs] we can get together to remove them.


“Behaviour like that detracts from what we’re trying to do in the town centre.”


Insp Wycherley added: “This is all evidence of us working together with the licensees.”


Dave McCarroll, manager of the Envy/Liquid nightclub on Brook Street and also chairman of the Wrexham Nightsafe scheme, said: “If we ban somebody, it can take time for other licensees to become aware of them but if you give them a high-profile banning, as soon as they come in to town they’re spotted on CCTV and police and licensees will get in touch with one another on the radio.


“It works. We’ve already had one person banned who tried to come back in to town [pubs and clubs] and he was completely refused.”


Mr McCarroll added pubs and clubs worked collectively to ensure that banning orders were effective and stayed in place.


Story courtesy of The Leader