Gareth Wood pledged to give up the booze after his second drunken assault, three years after being jailed for a separate attack
A violent drunk who served five years in jail for knifing a man vowed to quit booze for ever after he was sent back to prison for another attack in a pub.
Gareth Wood, 32, was on Pub Watch and banned from every bar in Stockton but he told police that he took no notice of the blacklisting.
Wood confronted a man in The Garrick pub at 1am on November 15 and he wrongly accused him of assaulting his mother.
Prosecutor Deborah Smithies said that the man in his fifties did not know Wood or what he was talking about.
But half an hour later the man was standing near the dance floor talking to a friend when Wood delivered a haymaker punch from above knocking him down.
He then hit him with more punches, leaving him with two fractures of his left cheekbone. The victim went to A&E at James Cook University Hospital, Middlesbrough, for treatment. The attack left him in pain and he lost £650 in wages through sickness and hospital appointments.
Wood was arrested a month later and under caution told police: “It’s nothing to do with me, I’m not allowed in pubs in Stockton, I’m on Pub Watch”.
But he admitted: “I do go into pubs even though I am on Pub Watch”.
When he was shown the pub’s CCTV footage of the incident he admitted confronting the man but he denied hitting him.
Miss Smithies said that Wood was jailed for five years in 2012 for stabbing a man after a confrontation in Trader Jack’s bar in Stockton. Wood went home, got a knife and stabbed him in Prince Regent Street.
Chris Baker, defending, said that there must be concern about the pattern of Wood’s behaviour which seemed to revolve around his excessive drinking.
Mr Baker added: “He has tried to tackle his alcohol problems and he has failed.
“He realises that he should never drink again and he has taken steps to have that happen.
“He is very keen to get back to work, to stop drinking and to distance himself from those negative influences which have contributed to his criminality so far.
“He did genuinely believe that his mother had been assaulted, and the evidence is that that was a mistaken belief.”
The Recorder of Middlesbrough Judge Simon Bourne-Arton QC told Wood that the pre-sentence report said that he was a serious risk of harm to the public in future.
The judge added: “Obviously you do realise the concern in this case is your propensity for drink, and when you are in drink you just lash out and cause injury to others.
“In June 2012 for the offence which was set out to me you were sentenced to five years imprisonment, and now you carried out this completely unprovoked attack on this man. You gave him no chance at all.”
Wood, of Myrtle Road, Stockton, was jailed for three and a half years after he pleaded guilty to inflicting grievous bodily harm.
Story and photograph courtesy of Gazette Live www.gazettelive.co.uk